Re: GEP 3 - Remote activation in bonobo-activation

On Sun, 2002-09-01 at 19:15, Alan Cox wrote:
> > There are several ways this can be fixed:
> >         * Opening an SSH session to the machine holding the component to
> >           be activated, and start the local-per-user bonobo-activation
> >           daemon on that machine, so that it activates the component.
> >         * Create a system-wide daemon that listens on a well known port
> >           for requests from bonobo-activation clients on other machines.
> >
> > 'Scuse my ignorance, but isn't that what xinetd/inetd and company are
> > for?
>
> Large numbers of people don't run xinetd/inetd. They expose only the ssh
> session for the X desktop (which you could also use to start things
> just like real X windows programmers would).

well, I really would like to have this remove activation stuff not
depend at all on a running X session. That would make impossible to
activate components in servers which are not running an X session at
all.

On the other hand, having the daemon able to work via inetd or
standalone, as many other daemons do, makes a lot of sense.

cheers