Re: Enter the build sheriff: Jacob.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 04:45:04AM -0800, Seth Nickell wrote:
> >   I did not update the HACKING file. I want to retain controle of
> > my module. I want to receive a message with explanations before something
> > get changed in my module.
>
> Always great to see a team player. That's why GNOME's so great, unlike
> silly corporate beauracracies, everyone in GNOME is trying to do what's
> best for GNOME rather than optimizing their own little module at the
> expense of the desktop as a whole. Go GNOME!

   Seth,

 I appreciate how nice you're trying to play.
 My module may be "little", I may have a "beauracratic" mind and not
being a team player, BUT:
   - when I get request for changes I do them as timely as possible
     if it makes sense.
   - I don't think you or most people in the Gnome project have a
     good understanding of all the complexity related to keeping
     libxml2 portable, including target where Gnome is unlikely to
     ever simply compile (check the posts about RiscOS maintainer on
     the xml list for example to get one idea)
   - when I get delegated a power from a group, I follow the guidelines
     associated to that delegation of power. If you can't appreciate
     that this was the point of my mail, well I'm sorry.

  I have always maintained that line of work w.r.t. commits in
the libxml2 and libxslt modules, it's not new, and except a few
people whining from time to time I don't think the project as
a whole has to complain from my work. If this is the case I
would certainly accept this and find a way to relocate to another CVS
base. Agreed, it's not team play, I don't play at that level, I work !

  yours,

Daniel