Re: Daemons [Was: gob inside gnome-vfs ...]

Sander,

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 18:54, Sander Vesik wrote:
> Huh? There is no inherent conflict between corba and threads.

	Oh really ?

> Gnome needs to come out of the dark ages and get to the point where
> it "just" supports threads anyways.

	Sigh; it would be nice if ORBit2's threading code was better tested /
fully implemented. But I really do think that threads are no solution to
many/any of our problems.

> > 	I don't think there is really a problem with lots of small daemon
> > processes, as long as they all go away cleanly - especially if they have
> > distinct roles. The stability argument alone is quite telling I think.
>
> I think you just forgot to multiply it by 50 or 100 for midsized multiuser
> machines. Why introduce a lot of daemons that most of the time are of
> little use to the user?

	Well - there should be little overhead, if the daemon is small - beyond
any system inefficiencies ( that need fixing anyway in such a case ). If
the daemon is not being used, then fork it idly / have it go away after
a while. If the code is not being used - it's best not to have it in
memory.

	And most importantly - imagine trying to fix a heap corruption bug in
"the-big-daemon", different versions of different plugins plugged into
it, and no-one to blame :-)

	Regards,

		Michael.