Re: Chinese and Japanese (and Korean?) breakage in GNOME2

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:
>
> > Yukihiro Nakai <ynakai redhat com> writes:
> > >
> > > Is there any reason why bind_textdomain_codeset should be commented out?
> > >

> > Definitely not. All apps should have this.
>
> Well, actually, if we want to support non-GNU gettext, or older GNU gettext,
> we can't rely on bind_textdomain_codeset(); instead we have to:
>
>  a) ship UTF-8 .po files

that's no relation whether the .po file is UTF-8 encoded or not...

gettext will convert it to the locale encoding anyway no matter what is
the .po file is encoded

>  b) call bind_textdomain_codeset() if available so that strings don't
>     get translated back from UTF-8 to the encoding of the locale.
>
> This is what GTK+ does.

so I think at least the following code like that in GTK+ should be added
in libgnomeui:

#ifdef ENABLE_NLS
  bindtextdomain (GETTEXT_PACKAGE, GTK_LOCALEDIR);
#    ifdef HAVE_BIND_TEXTDOMAIN_CODESET
  bind_textdomain_codeset (GETTEXT_PACKAGE, "UTF-8");
#    endif
#endif