Re: Chinese and Japanese (and Korean?) breakage in GNOME2

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> Yukihiro Nakai <ynakai redhat com> writes:
> >
> > Is there any reason why bind_textdomain_codeset should be commented out?
> >

> Definitely not. All apps should have this.

Well, actually, if we want to support non-GNU gettext, or older GNU gettext,
we can't rely on bind_textdomain_codeset(); instead we have to:

 a) ship UTF-8 .po files
 b) call bind_textdomain_codeset() if available so that strings don't
    get translated back from UTF-8 to the encoding of the locale.

This is what GTK+ does.

Regards,
                                        Owen