Re: libwnck status & gnome-core

Hi Havoc,

On Fri, 2002-01-18 at 17:20, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> We can change it to
> WNCK_I_KNOW_THIS_IS_PRIVATE_AND_HAS_NO_ABI_GUARANTEES which is what
> UNSTABLE means here. It doesn't mean the code is buggy or
> untested. The README is I suppose outdated since it has now been
> tested in gnome-core and certainly works at least as well as
> gnome-core itself. ;-)

	:-) well - sure, but gnome-core to some extent is application code and
not installing headers - and where it has done has had a fairly good go
at keeping them compatible [AFAIK]. Is this the case for libwnk? - given
that I just updated it and the API was source incompatible - and the
library version is not bumped off 0.1 to check this in gnome-core's
configure - it seems unlikely.

> No, don't do that. It's deliberately (on my part) an installed
> library, because for GNOME 1 we had cut-and-pasted the equivalent
> functionality all over creation, because procman wanted to use it, and
> because I want to encourage some experimentation on the pager/tasklist
> front (application-based instead of window-based tasklist/appmenu for
> example would be neat).

	Ok - but I have two questions:

	a) Do you recommend packagers to package this separately or
	   included with the packages that use it - with particular
	   reference to distributions.

	b) When/if will the API stop changing / breaking - and/or what
	   scope do you anticipate for the library - eg. just procman
	   and gnome-core? or more things.

	c) If the scope is limited, and given that it isn't much code:
	   ~3000 lines, does not including it within these 2 modules
	   make sane packaging easier, and help ensure use doesn't
	   spread to places we don't expect ?

> The -D is simply to clarify its non-platform API-unfrozen status.  I
> think all non-platform libs should consider such a -D to keep users
> from accidentally hosing themselves.

	Well - whatever, I'm not particularly eager to do the work - but it
would be nice if when the API changes and gnome-core is updated that the
configure version could be bumped and checks kept in sync - if that's
possible.

	Regards,

		Michael.