Re: Mono and GNOME. The long reply.

On Wed, 2002-02-06 at 16:13, Sergey V. Udaltsov wrote:
> > how could that happen? They server a different purpose, although with
> > some similarities. SOAP is just a RPC mechanism based on XML+HTTP,
> > whereas CORBA is a full distributed object system.
> Well said. But SOAP can be used as a protocol for connecting bonobo
> components, cannot it (in theory)? At least its XML part? "distributed
> object system" can be considered (to some extent) as OO RPC (with some
> standardized semantics, in case of CORBA service),
yes, it is perfectly possible. In fact, there are even projects to have
bridges between both technologies, such as soap2corba

> > replacement or one or the other. When it'll make sense to use SOAP,
> > we'll use SOAP; when it makes sense to use CORBA, we'll use CORBA, and
> > that's all.
> OK. Thanks to this comment. I just had some concerns regarding Mono.
> Since M$ Mono technology involves heavy usage of SOAP (AFAIK) - will it
> be the case for GNOME/Mono? If Miguel shares your point of view - I have
> no more questions.
AFAIK, the XML usage in MS .NET is mainly for web services, an area,
which, also AFAIK, is not in the immediate plans of Mono.

Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> - <rodrigo ximian com> -