Re: copyright notice format

James Henstridge <james daa com au> writes:

> The main points of interest here is that the _last_ year a release was
> made is important (the others are not necessary, but not harmful), and
> the word "Copyright" should not be translated.  So it could be argued
> that a string like "Copyright (C) YEAR PERSON" usually shouldn't be
> translated at all.

As long as we cannot use UTF-8 in source code resp. as message IDs for
tranlation it's useful to offer those strings for translation.  The
translator can provide proper 8bit character within names and adjust
comma usage for the target language.  Example:

    #. Instead "M|ue|ller" translate "M|u-umlaut|ller if u-umlaut is avail.
    msgid "Copyright (C) %s PERSON1, Mueller, and Smith"
    msgstr "Copyright © %s PERSON1, Müller und Smith"
As you can see, the German translator will change 4 things.

Also note the %s formatter usage; it's always a good idea to pull in
year info via printf like statements.

--
Linux frechet 2.4.19-4GB #1 Thu Nov 14 11:46:51 UTC 2002 i686 unknown
  3:18pm  up 23 days, 23:39, 10 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.48, 0.47