Non-C bindings in GNOME

(dropping the gep line)

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 20:49, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> I would support an expanded "integrate language bindings into the library
> module" across all of our libraries. Obviously that's a pretty huge
> seachange, and there are various things to iron out. If it works out well
> with ORBit2 and maintainers support it, it could be very cool for other
> languages.

I think this would be fantastic. We have a chicken-and-egg problem right
now where application developers avoid non-C bindings (in my case, I
would rather use C++ or Java) because distros often do not include some
set of these bindings. And of course distros do not include them because
no major applications use them ;-) If we really believe in making other
languages besides C a practical choice for GNOME developers (which we've
always pointed as one of our advantages over KDE), we need to encourage
their adoption on distributions so developers feel comfortable using
them.

(Aside: the gnomemm/gtkmm bindings for GNOME 2 are really great! They've
been a joy to use after having to create objects in C for the past few
years :-)

-Seth