gep-1

Hi Guys,

	In the absence of gep-announce existing, I thought I would post this
here; essentially, gep-1 - because the C++ hackers deserve it, needs to
be got done with soon.

	A slightly facile first GEPP but there we go:

	Regards,

		Michael.

   We need to integrate the C++ bindings for ORBit2, it's not clear how to do this, we also need a new maintainer for it.

                                                            1. Administrivia

   Document Owner
          Michael Meeks

   Posted
          August 15, 2002

   Discussion Period Ends
          August 29, 2002

   Status
          Pending

   Discussion List
          gnome-components-list gnome org

   Responsible Persons
          Michael Meeks, Mark McLouglin, Owen Taylor, Frederic Crozat

2. Proposal

2.1 Internal API exposure

   Since  the  C++ bindings involve using a fairly large amount of ORB
internal API, it is undesirable to split them from the ORB.    These
APIs include the binary servant layout, CORBA_any and idl-compiler
internal layout interfaces. It's possible however that    we could
expose these interfaces.

2.2 Packaging convenience

   Introducing  the C++ bindings into core ORBit2 may cause portability
problems, and while these can be obviated by a conditional    build,
this seems problematic. However, it would be most convenient for the
C++ people to have nicely integrated root for their    bindings.

2.3 API / ABI stability

   The  C++  bindings  are  however,  immature and should not be
considered ABI (or even API) stable, however - since they have to
conform to the standard CORBA C++ binding perhaps this is no problem
going forward.

2.4 Maintenance

   The  C++  bindings  would  need  a  separate maintainer, but it
would seem to make some sense to have these modules in the same
place.

3. Issues Raised During Discussion

   So far none.