Re: What are the community's goals for 2.0? [was Re: Getting serious about releasing]

On Wed, 2002-04-24 at 00:10, Luis Villa wrote:

> But I can't speak for the community. So, tell me- are you, the
> community, happy with Works For Me? Would you prefer Works?

Speaking as a beta-tester (not a GNOME developer :), I would even be
embarassed if GNOME 2 went out in its current shape.

People will definitely judge GNOME based on the 2.0 release, no matter
how much "this is a developer's release" verbage accompanies the release
notes. User's simply don't care. 2.0 means the developers thought "we're
done".

The major distributions (Mandrake, SuSE, Red Hat) all just released new
versions (well, Red Hat's is coming very soon), so it's not like we need
to get something ready in time for them to ship it.

If anyone is "dying" to run GNOME 2 (and willing to tolerate bugs), they
can simply download Ximian's snapshots or use Mandrake's Cooker
packages.

--

Steve Fox
http://k-lug.org