Advice needed on windowmanager configuration with gnome 2

So I just discovered, that with the coming of GNOME2, we will be losing
the ability to use a desktop with viewports arranged in a grid. I don't
want to really debate whether or not this feature regression is right.
I'm going to assume that it was talked about and decided somewhere.

What I do want to know, is what I can suggest and display to the other
people here where I work, on how to set up their upcoming systems, so
that it doesn't make them irritable and less efficient.

The current setup uses Xfree86 on dual monitor machines with gnome 1.x,
sawfish with a viewport  virtual desktop using 5 columns and 3 rows.
like so:

--------------------------
|    |    |    |    |    |
--------------------------
|    |    |    |    |    |
--------------------------
|    |    |    |    |    |
--------------------------

in each different viewport they will have a series of different
applications and development tools running, along with terminal
windows, database connections, and monitoring tools.

Some put similar tasks of applications near each other so they can
easily switch between them.

With the new setup, they will have 15 desktops in a line.
------------------------------
|    |    |    |    |    |   | etc etc

everyone that looked at the system today were immediately asking how
they were going to configure their system so that they can easily get to
any desktop without a great deal of hand movement, ( right now the only
keys they need are alt+arrows to reach anything ) and without having to
cross a large amount of windows/desktops.

I don't want to start flamewar, I need some real answers.

Sincerely,

Will