The endless and mostly fruitless GNOME applets debate [contd...]

Okay,

So we have always reached an impasse in the past about what to do with
GNOME applets ie. how to politely say to the author of an applet that
it's crap and has no place in the main distribution.

It now seems that GNOME 2.0 will be upon us sometime in the near future
and with all the porting involved we could save ourselves some time and
energy and punt the useless ones -
Some fine examples would be -

  Another Clock, Binary Clock, Where am I, Fifteen, Game of Life [1]

I don't want to offend people...I'm sure it's all lovely, lovely code
but the applets are just plain and simply *crap*, of limited usefulness
and have the sex appeal of a bald headed ex-gurning champion who insists
on growing long hair on one side of his head to pull over the top [2]

Currently we have applets in gnome-core and gnome-applets. It seems a
sensible thing to have some applets [or even, most applets] as part of
fifth toe. I think I would prefer to see all the applets removed from
gnome-core, moved into gnome-applets and then create a new module
gnome-applets-extra for applets that should be part of fifth toe. We
should define applets that stay in gnome-applets [and hence part of
the main core distribution] by the following -

	- cross platform
	- usability
	- usefulness
	- sex appeal

Do we really need multiple clocks, multiple battery status/monitor
applets etc etc..??

Anyway...comments, flames....but hell, let's decide something now before
it is too late *once more*.

				See ya,
					Glynn ;)

[1] I don't want to mention Fish in this discussion for political reasons
    and the fact that it 'keeps _v_ distracted'

[2] http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-gur1.htm