Re: [Nautilus-list] GnomeVFS 1.0.2 Release

On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 01:43:00AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Anyhow, I do think we should have a policy here, I don't think it
> should be a boneheaded no-common-sense-allowed "if nm shows a new
> symbol you are evil" kind of policy, but also I would say 95% of the
> time adding API is wrong.

The main change we made was adding module-specific callbacks and auth
callbacks. The bulk of the work for this was done by Mike soon after we
shipped 1.0, so its been sitting around for quite a while. We've had quite
a lot of pressure from users for better authentication support so we felt
that it would be good to get this out into a 1.x release.

The other change was a really minor addition to one of the APIs.

So I do agree that there are risks from adding APIs during a stable release
but I feel that in this case it was justified.

Ian