Re: validating po files on commit

On 18 Sep 2001 12:40:29 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can someone fix ko.po and ja.po in gnome-vfs-1-0 branch?
>
> Could we set up a CVS script that validates encodings on commit, and
> refuses to accept commits with bogus encodings? It's really hard to
> deal with broken pofiles, because automake won't let you make dist
> unless you actually fix the encoding (which I don't know how to do),
> or cvs rm the po file (which seems extreme). Just removing the po file
> from ALL_LINGUAS doesn't work, automake thinks this isn't allowed.

There have been a couple of problems with po files and encodings
recently. I think (and please correct me if i am wrong) that they are
caused because gettext changed some behaivior after 0.10.35. So the
potfiles will either work on 0.10.35 or will work on post 0.10.35. Seems
to me that what we need to do is decide which version we are going to
use for GNOME, this way we can all upgrade (and require that version)
and forget about this problem. It is really annoying, this has happened
to several hackers.

Can someone with a better understading of the problem confirm if this
will solve the recent problems with po files ?

Chema