Re: On the cost of libraries

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Daniel Veillard wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 01:00:39PM +0100, Sander Vesik wrote:
> > Well, it should be possible to have a script that updated the symbol lists
> > based on nm output. It could be combined with something that compared that
> > output to what was published in a set of headers to discriminate between
> > 'public symbol, mark global' and 'unknown symbol, mark local'.
>
>   Well ... except nm actually shows all symbol public from a module
> as being public at the shared library level. I.e precisely the problem
> that we would like to avoid, once this si solved then yes getting the
> export list for Windows is trivial (but you also still need to mark
> up your includes too).

If public headers only contain public symbols the process is
self-bootstrapping - the set of symbosl to make local on unix are all
these nm shows up but that aren't in the public headers.

You can't unfortunately avoid the hedaer markup on windows, and it is
needed on unix only if there is no spearation of headers into
private/public (or there is no easy #ifdef to leave them out)

> Daniel
>
> --
> Daniel Veillard      | Red Hat Network http://redhat.com/products/network/
> veillard redhat com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/
> http://veillard.com/ | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/

	Sander

I haven't been vampired. You've been Weatherwaxed.