Re: Our (real) problems

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Drazen Kacar wrote:

> Michael Meeks wrote:
> > On Thu, 2001-08-30 at 23:34, Alex Larsson wrote:
>
> > > * Too many libraries
> > >
> > > Our current development platform really has to many
> > > libraries. Applications on the higher levels in the dependency chain
> > > drag in a ridiculous amount of libraries. This causes performance
> > > problems with symbol lookup and increases startup time. Part of the
> > > startup time can be fixed by using ELF prelinking, but part of it is
> > > inevitable.
> >
> > 	Yep - again - difficult to know how to 'fix' this really.
>
> With a better linker. Which part of symbol lookup time is inevitable for
> a case when you have 20 libraries as opposed to the case with only 2-3
> libraries?

'With a better linker' is not really an answer, or at least not one that
would really help you. You can somewhat work around by not linkning
libraries directly into each other or executables but dlopen-ing them.
Ultimately - gnome the platform provides a certain (not so small) set of
fetaures which are presently divided between libraries in a reasonable
way. That's not probablt the right angle to attack it.

> And what's ELF prelinking?

A gross hack.