Re: GNOME 2.0 Schedule

On 10Oct2001 01:41PM (-0400), Iain wrote:

> > 	* sawfish
> > 	* nautilus
> > 	* control center
> > 	* non-deprectaed parts of gnome-core, gnome-utils and
> > 	  gnome-applets
> >
> > And the g-c, g-u and g-a very definately need a good "is this part merely
> > completely made of crack or does it actually contain something useful"
> > lookover. A good deal of their contents definately isn't.
>
> (Try 2: My first try was too depressing to finish :)
>
> gnome-utils needs made useful. Can we add gnome-games and gnome-media
> into the list as well?

I'm all for crack removal.

> We need something like
> http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.0-features.html
> SOON! (sorry to keep bitching about this, but as dot.kde.org says "With
> the Qt port out of the way, the KDE developers can now focus on the
> planned KDE improvements."

One difference is that we do not yet have the Gtk (and other
underlying libraries) port out of the way yet. What we should learn
from KDE is that we need to get that done ASAP if there is to be time
for new features.

> I don't often agree with KDE, but damn, is this the right way to do
> it. Port the desktop to GTK2/GNOME2 then allow some time to add
> features. You'll note that the QT port wasn't released as KDE3 and
> then the features as KDE3.2. They ported the desktop as KDE3alpha,
> and then once all the features are done, are releasing KDE3.)

We could do that, but it would mean blowing out the current schedule,
depending on the scale of the new feature work.

My opinion is that if some modules get done with the basic port early,
then their maintainers should cautiously consider limited-scope new
features.

That being said, it would be good to collect a list of the features we
already know we will have, based on what has been done in the base
libraries.

My favorite new feature, actually, would be to make out-of-the-box
GNOME look better and more modern. Seeing it next to Mac OS X every
day is depressing. A lot of things about Ximian GNOME look better than
what we ship as default, so maybe Ximian could donate some of this
custom artwork. Also, the default Gtk theme is about as exciting as
oat bran. It seems like that's the way the Gtk default is going to
stay for the near future, but maybe we can come up with a better theme
to use as the GNOME default.

 - Maciej