Re: GNOME CVS: libgnomeui baddog

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 11:57:27AM +0800, R.I.P. Deaddog wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Nov 2001, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
>
> > > Modified files:
> > > 	.              : ChangeLog configure.in
> > >
> > > Log message:
> > > Add missing gnome-vfs-module path in CFLAGS
> >
> > Is this really the right way to do this? Or should libgnome-2.0.pc also
> > have gnome-vfs-2.0 as a "Requires:"? The latter seems better to me.
>
> libgnome-2.0.pc already listed gnome-vfs-2.0 as Requires; the path
> in question belongs to gnome-vfs-module-2.0.pc .

Ah yeah ... that's what I meant. I wish I could type. :(

> Actually I have thought about adding gnome-vfs-module-2.0 as
> libgnome-2.0.pc requirement too, but it seems that programs needing
> libgnome-2.0 doesn't always need gnome-vfs-module-2.0 at the same
> time. In other words, gnome-vfs-module-2.0 sounds not mandatory for
> libgnome-2.0 .

True, now that I look closer. It's needed to build the help-vfs-module,
which is why libgnome grabs it. I hadn't noticed that difference before.

> In this case, is there any better way to resolve it? I'm not so
> confident of my change (other than the fact that libgnomeui compiles
> along with gnome-vfs 1.9.3 now).

No idea. I'm hoping one of the vfs guys or George or Anders or Jonathan
will pipe up. I'm not really criticising your patch, since it solves the
problem, but I'm genuinely wondering if it's the neatest solution. The
dependency trees are becoming a bit of a mess (but we don't care because
we have pkg-config!).

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
The cost of feathers has risen; even down is up!