Re: [Usability] Ordering thread relit; visual cues

On Wed, 2001-11-07 at 20:06, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="jacob berkman">
> > the problem is that the dialogs are too similar to the old ones - there
> > is not enough visual queue that these dialogs have a different button
> > layout than the gnome 1 ones.  on a mac the button ordering doesn't seem
> > to throw me off, as i am already disoriented.
> This, I think, is the problem that needs dealing with. Better highlighting
> for the default button will fix this in most cases - the Raleigh default
> highlight is just a indent.

it's not the highlight - i clicked the button before i could read the

> > with the fact that all of our installed base and the majority of desktop
> > users throughout the world have the ordering the other way, i think this
> > is a mistake.
> >
> > we are not out to create a utopian desktop environment with everything
> > done perfectly.  if we were, we would probably not be using unix, c, x,
> > etc.
> Wouldn't it be better to do a bit of repair work on the highlighting than
> 'throw the baby out with the bathwater'?

if the highlighting is indeed the problem, which i argue that it isn't.

> > (and isn't the no / cancel option quite often the default / preferred
> > action?  this change boinks that.)
> Not really; I raised this earlier (as it's not explicitly mentioned in the
> dialogue proposal). The default can be any one of the buttons, we just have
> the consistency of the right hand one being the affirmative verb.

so i will now argue that the negative case should be in the lower right,
as that is usually the safest option.

"Beat mixing is 10000 times more fun than even video games."
	-- bt