Re: Eazel

On Tue, May 15, 2001 at 02:59:57PM -0700, Bart Decrem wrote:
> I regret to inform you that Eazel is in fact shutting down.

  This is sad news,

> In the midst of these difficult times, our hackers have managed to hit
> two major milestones for Nautilus: our 1.0 and 1.0.3 releases.  We would
> like to express our gratitude to the Eazel hackers for keeping their eye
> on the ball over the past 2 months.

  Yes, kudos ! Getting the 1.0.3 release out nonetheless in such a
situation shows how dedicated you are/were in delivering better software.
This itself deserves a round of applaudes IMHO.

> Nautilus is licensed under the GPL, so the software will live on and, we
> hope, continue to improve.  It is my understanding that Darin, Andy, and
> several other key Nautilus contributors plan to continue to work on
> Nautilus on a volunteer basis.  Expect to hear from Darin and Andy
> shortly.  Miguel has indicated that he and others at Ximian will also
> contribute to Nautilus to ensure that it continues on as the file
> manager for GNOME and meets the users' needs.

  The code is there, it will continue to have a life of its own.
I wonder if any Copyright assignment has been done and if it is still
time to do it if needed.

> Like many of the people who worked at Eazel, I fully plan to stay
> involved with free software and GNOME.  On behalf of everyone from
> Eazel, *thank you* for having welcomed us into the free software family,
> and GO GNOME!

  And thank you for having contributed as a commercial entity a major
piece of the infrastructure ! We all hope that at an individual level
you will stay around hacking or contributing to Nautilus or GNOME in
general !

  Again, thank you !

Daniel