Re: GConf and bonobo-config - some ideas

Dietmar Maurer <dietmar ximian com> writes:
> I missed that discussion about schemas in GConf. I am also unable to
> find it on the GConf list archives. I would be really helpful if you
> send me those links first, so that I know what you have already
> talked.

What discussion do you mean? I think the schemas stuff is basically
really old, before gconf-list.

There's some stuff in the GConf feature article and/or API docs on
developer.gnome.org though I think.

The basic motivation for schemas is:
 - many apps may use a single config key (e.g. the control-center
   and gnome-libs used to share several, and we fixed several
   bugs when their defaults were out of sync)
 - so you want to put the defaults somewhere other than an
   app-specific place
 - while you're at it, the other metainfo on a key can go in the
   schema too
 - and admins may as well have access to the factory defaults
   as well

But I'm not trying to start a big thread. ;-) I am just wondering how
defaults are handled in bonobo-config.

Havoc