Re: GConf and bonobo-config - some ideas

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Dietmar Maurer wrote:

> Elliot Lee wrote:
>
> > Concerns that bonobo-config lacks testing need to be addressed by
> > porting the gconf test suite to bonobo-config. This is an independant task
> > that could possibly go on the TODO list (whee!).
>
> Well, the gconf: moniker is a simple wrapper, so I consider porting the whole
> test suite as an overkill.

Would you rather try to convince people how well bonobo-config works, or
prove it to them with a test suite?

> > . Address concerns that the GConf schema and other GConf features are not
> > being exposed properly by the bonobo-config API.
>
> I am a bit unsure about the purpose of schema's. Schema's store default
> values and documentation, and you can map each key to a schema. But is it
> really necessary that we make this mapping configurable? Isn't it possible to
> map "/a/simple/key" to schema "/schema/a/simple/key".  And do we really need
> that additional default value stored in the schema?

I believe this has been discussed previously - it is very important that
the default value be stored in the schema, and only in the schema.

-- Elliot
Sometimes when I get up in the morning, I feel very peculiar.  I feel like
I've just got to bite a cat!  I feel like if I don't bite a cat before
sundown, I'll go crazy!  But then I just take a deep breath and forget
about it.  That's what is known as real maturity.	-- Snoopy