Re: control center plans, etc.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 07:16:03PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm considering implementing a simplified control panel scheme as
> discussed in this thread:
>
>   http://lists.eazel.com/pipermail/nautilus-list/2001-May/003210.html
>
> Basically there are just a few simple features:

I think the whole control centre concept needs a complete revamp.

Instead of just being able to tweak settings of individual components,
there ought to be "task-based" settings too. For example "set up desktop"
would start with colour schemes and themes, gmc or nautilus, some settings
for the file manager, and maybe some panel configs; another task might be
"set up palm pilot", which would do the device config then go through
conduits.

Then, instead of launching dialogs with scads of confusing options, and
a navigation tree at the side, a wizard-style configuration would ask
simple questions, one per screen, with lots of explanatory help text.

I'm thinking of the Ximian doorman here, but on a much more ubiquitous scale.

- Dick