Re: control center plans, etc.

On 19Jun2001 07:16PM (-0400), Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't know of a dedicated list for this, so mailing gnome-hackers
> and control-center maintainers.
>
> I'm considering implementing a simplified control panel scheme as
> discussed in this thread:
>
>   http://lists.eazel.com/pipermail/nautilus-list/2001-May/003210.html
>
> I'm looking at doing this against the stable branch, with a port to
> HEAD and merge upstream if people want.

Hi Havoc,

John Harper implemented a version of this for the stable branch
already, along with the ability to browse control pannel applets
through Nautilus, and an instant-change UI with Undo. I think he
posted it on the list a couple of weeks ago.

I think the most productive work would be to productize the work he
did, and also to port it to the new bonobo-based control-center once
that is ready (he had to implement things in a really hacky way
because of the way the control-center works (capplets get forked and
then expect to find and add themselves into the unique instance of the
control-center shell object; this is rife with race conditions anyway
and really ought to be fixed).

Regards,

Maciej