- From: Stefan Westerfeld <stefan space twc de>
- To: gnome-hackers gnome org, xdg-list freedesktop org, kde-multimedia kde org, linux-audio-dev ginette musique umontreal ca
- Subject: CSL-0.1.2 Release
- Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 00:22:28 +0200
CSL-0.1.2 - the Common Sound Layer - has been released.
The scope of CSL can roughly be summarized as:
Helping all applications out there that currently contain a
variety of platform specific notoriously non-portable audio code.
On the one hand, CSL provides sufficient abstraction of platform specific
details, where we took extreme care to maintain full-fledged access to
the features offered by the APIs being wrapped, such as:
- similar performance to platform specific code
- latency management
- full duplex capabilities.
On the other hand, CSL is intended to help application developers
in the process of adoption of sound server technology through the same
API that wraps platform specific audio access code.
Based on a unified API that abstracts audio IO backends, such as sound
server streams or kernel device accesses, seemless integration of
multiple concurrent sound clients and interoperation thereof, can be
The supported backends are currently OSS and aRts.
CSL-0.1.2 is available for download from:
CSL-0.1.2 also requires arts-0.5.4 which is available from:
This is a an unstable preview release and should not be used in
production. Only minimal testing has been done, and we expect that
bugs and portability problems remain at this point.
Bug reports and comments about this version of CSL should be sent to
csl space twc de
Overview of changes in CSL 0.1.2:
* Sample repo functionality and playback facilities added
for aRts backend
* Some API cleanups
* Recording implementation
* Support for PCM status queries
* TODO updates ;)
* Many examples added [Jeff Tranter]
* Major docu improvements [Jeff Tranter]
* Bug fixes
Tim Janik <timj gtk org>
Stefan Westerfeld <stefan space twc de>
-* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan space twc de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany
KDE Developer, project infos at http://space.twc.de/~stefan/kde *-
] [Thread Prev