Re: Reminder: shared library applets deskguide and tasklist.

On 18 Jan 2001 18:44:49 -0500, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > > The patch I posted to the list is still valid (modulo 2 little
> > > conflict removals).
> >
> > As long as this is a configure option, I'd say commit.
>
> I would like some peer-review action going on instead.

Well, my patch is so different from yours it doesn't matter any more :(

> > This brings up another idea.  All of tasklist deskguide and the
> > panel share two files called gwmh and gsct (or whatever they are

> > named) They keep the lists of windows and all that crap.  I think it
> > should work to just not link those files into a shlib versions of
> > deskguide and tasklist, and that will cut down the X traffic.
>
> I suggested this in my initial post, and Tim said that he did not want
> to see it as a shared library, because it was not a finalized API.  I
> think we can make a shared library and not install the headers files,
> so it just becomes a runtime file and not a development tool.
>
> But I dont see how a shared library would reduce X traffic, you are
> confusing me.
>
> Shlib applets would reduce traffic, because they would all share the
> same X notification mechanims in the same process.
>
> That being said, it seems like the maintainer of
> gnome-core/gnome-applets (Berkman) decided to commit it (I think
> "seems" because he mentioned something like this on irc, and I have
> not actually talked to him about this).

I haven't yet but it is a few hours away from being synced with HEAD.
Doing this made me realize some bugs in the current HEAD sorting
algorithm too :)

jacob
--
"The people who made the Macintosh produced a miracle, but that
 doesn't mean their code was wonderful." -- Bob Cringely