Re: what about /etc/magic? (was Call for file types for Nautilus)

Kjartan Maraas <kmaraas online no> writes:

> > > For i18n purposes, maybe we should have magic.xml insted? :-)
> >

> xml-i18n-tools does it's job nicely.

Although interestingly, It's Not Just for XML Any More (tm). I think I
goofed on picking the name and it should become gnome-i18n-tools or
gnu-i18n-tools perhaps (it would be great to see it used beyond just
GNOME).

Incidentally, we can't really restrict translators to using a web
interface that only works on po files so long as we have data files
that need translation but are not handled by xml-i18n-tools.

I don't support restricting translators that way (I have very rarely
seen a translator break a module and many many times have seen
translators do excellent work both inside and outside the po
directory), but if you do, here's another reason to xml-i18n-toolize
the world.

As far as ACLs in general go, I'm with George - ACLs may make us safer
but I think they will weaken our sense of fun and freedom and unified
community spirit, and that's something we really could stand to boost
right now.

The way I see it, maintainership is not intended to be a position of
power and control; it's intended to be a position of responsibility
and service to the community.  As maintainer, one is not king of one's
module; one is a custodian of the public trust.

As a result, I think it's totally fair to ask maintainers to subscribe
to cvs-commits-list, watch commits, and when needed revert or fix
unapproved changes, if that makes things better for the rest of the
community. Our bias should always be in favor of freedom and openness,
not control and restrictions.

Boy did that ever wander off topic. :-) But I kind of had to finish
once I got started.

 - Maciej