security holes in gnome-vfs application list (was Call for file types for Nautilus)

on 2/24/01 9:15 AM, Alan Cox at alan redhat com wrote:

> Whoa careful. You shouldnt have a single application listed that has not
> been verified for security holes. Otherwise you are going to get a lot
> of users being given interesting mime objects.

OK. I think there's a misunderstanding here. Nautilus doesn't give security
guarantees for programs you start with it.

The programs that Seth is talking about are just the choices offered for
opening documents of a particular type (text editors for a plain text
document, image editors for a .jpg files, etc.). These programs aren't
invoked automatically when you receive mail or anything like that.

> Old versions of metamail had large expansive lists of mime types, and large
> expansive lists of interesting security holes

Right. That's a mail program and a different kind of "list of programs".

    -- Darin