Re: Menu names

> Why not give the type of application in parenthesis as in:
>
> gedit (Text Editor)
> GIMP (Image Manipulation Program)
> gfrobate (Frobation Device Controller)

Well let me comment on these.

GIMP is a huge program, and it has a good name. I think that huge programs, or
office-size applications can have their own name, plus maybe also a description
like here.

Small utility size programs should have a name that shows their function rather
that what they have now, and this should be easily translatable.

We should move away from calling programs something like gblah. The g is fine
for the executable, but we are moving into commercial ground, and this seems
kind of redicolous (sorry I cannot spell that)

If it is a more specific program or utility a specific name can be used. but
please also here try to avoid names like gFrobate, etc.

I would like to see applications like these changed>
(disregard the GNOME in the menues, actually I would also not like to see it in
the title of the program, but in the about box it seems fine)

gedit - GNOME Text Editor
gnome charmap (already good)
gDict
gturing

etc.

Also some of applications in the menus have GNOME in their names, this should be
removed>

GNOME Character Map
GNOME search tool
GNOME control-center

Kenneth

This message was sent using POPCHECKER.COM
http://www.popchecker.com/