Re: OO as GNOME software (topic change)

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 10:45:24AM +0100, Drazen Kacar wrote:
> I'm not sure if GTK 1.2 is good enough for OpenOffice, because it's a huge
> application and GTK 1.2 has certain limitations. OTOH, GTK 2 isn't
> finished yet and it's probably not well documented,
Both of those are things you could help with.

And neither is an argument Sun for not using Gtk+.
Whatever the limitations might be, it's software, and they can be fixed.
There are one or two working programs using Gtk+ already ;-)

A good argument would be that they have already written a lot of
solid working code and have an existing infrastructure.

Alan said, we don't have a style guide and therefore don't have a good
way of telling whether something is a gnome app or not.  I agree.

A fair metric might be, integrates well with other gnome apps and feels
like a part of a suite. But that's hard to measure.

I think it should be possible to use other toolkits,
if themes interoperate, drag and drop, copy and paste interoperate,
and keybinding and buttons work the same.

In other words, the question is not, what is the technology, but,
what is the user experience?

Lee (Ankh)

--
Liam Quin - Barefoot in Toronto - liam holoweb net - http://www.holoweb.net/