Re: Thoughts on GNOME 2.0

Ali Abdin <aliabdin aucegypt edu> writes:
> - Usage of libxml2 and eradication of libxml1 usage
> - Usage of gdk-pixbuf and eradication of imlib
> - Migrate the panel to oaf and eradication of gnorba

I think libxml1->libxm2 is mostly a painless transition, and Imlib and
gnorba are already nearly gone, when it was possible without breaking
API.

> - General polish and feature addition to various libraries (gnome-vfs,
>    gtkhtml, gal, etc.)

That's far too vague for me. ;-) We do need some sort of cap on this
stuff, if only a date. "polish until September" ;-)

(Though as I've said several times, polishing libs until September
MUST throw out either the user environment changes or the release
date; I'm not clear from your mail which you would advocate throwing
out?)

> - Sorting out of where the X bonobo stuff will go (i.e. move to
> gnome-libs)

IMHO libbonoboui, a separate tarball.

> - Get gnome-libs in shape

Again, I think first we need a clear functional definition for
gnome-libs as distinct from other modules such as bonoboui, gtk,
etc. so that we have agreement on what constitutes "in shape."

Havoc