Re: My vision of gnome-libs (was Re: GNOME 2.0 meeting summary)

Sri Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com> writes:

> > > RFC 1: Please look at gnome-selector.[ch], gnome-file-selector.[ch],
> > >        gnome-entry.[ch] and gnome-icon-selector.[ch] and tell me what you
> > >        think.
> >
> > I have quite a few comments on this I need to send you.
> >
> > The general comment I would have though is that I think this is a
> > large project. I think it will take several months to finish, and I
> > think it should potentially integrate with Nautilus or use some of the
> > Nautilus features. I'm basing my time estimate on the fact that
> > currently Nautilus is frozen and its hackers are busy, and also the
>
> I rather you just define an API.  People should be able to write their own
> file manager that integrates with GNOME without having to use Nautilus or
> having to use even a part of nautilus. (depending on the component of
> course)  More than likely someone is (and has) written a competing GNOME
> filemanager and should have the chance to have access to the spec.

Well, actually GnomeSelector is a very low-level API thing and not really
something user visible.

Basically, it just provides the functionality which is used in the selector
widgets such as the GnomeIconSelector etc.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)