Re: OO as GNOME software (topic change)

Jody Goldberg wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 07:46:38PM -0500, Michael Meeks wrote:
> >
> >       Handing out 'you are not part of GNOME' notices to people because
> > they have not yet integrated fully into the community[1] is not a good
> > plan. Also, whilst the foundation defines what GNOME is, distributors
> > define what people get, which I would imagine will include Open Office at
> > whatever level of integration into GNOME it has.
> >
> >       There are good technical reasons why OO does not use Gtk+, quite
> > apart from the massive amount of code that would need to be changed.
>
>      Handing out 'you are the official office suite for GNOME' notices
> seems premature, and somewhat questionable.

Yes, I think that would be premature and I kind of agree with Havoc: I'm not
sure there's a need for "the 1 official GNOME suite".

>      OO is a large project and once a stable release is made it will
> probably make its way into most distributions.  There is no need to
> brand it as 'part' of GNOME.  There are many projects that are
> instrumental in providing a free software platform that are not, and
> will not be an integral part of GNOME.  Lets let them do their work
> without tossing around unrequested notices.  As OO's goals and
> integration strategies are clarified we'll see what they'd like.

Fair enough.  Having said that, I have to use StarOffice on a daily basis
because AbiWord and Gnumeric just don't (yet) have all the features and
interoperability with the MS Office world that I need and I'm pretty excited
to see the OO project come along.  It's great that I can now run just the word
processor or spreadsheet without needing that big ugly thing that wants to
take over my desktop, and based on my test-drives and from what I hear, the
6.0 release will play with GNOME much more nicely than StarOffice 5.2
currently does.  So I do think that Open Office will be a really important
factor in convincing new waves of GNOME users to jump on our bandwagon!

> In the interim I'll work to ensure that Gnumeric continues to
> outscale and outperform StarCalc :-)

Best wishes!

Bart