Re: OO as GNOME software (topic change)

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > Given the size of star^Wopen office its obvious that this will be a
> > process so I dont see any point in trying to decide now anyway. We
> > have plenty of time
>
> That is exactly why its better to decide in the next few months than 9
> mo. from now with the release of GNOME 2.0. Because it will be a long
> process, its something that needs to be started early if it will be
> done at all.

	Handing out 'you are not part of GNOME' notices to people because
they have not yet integrated fully into the community[1] is not a good
plan. Also, whilst the foundation defines what GNOME is, distributors
define what people get, which I would imagine will include Open Office at
whatever level of integration into GNOME it has.

	There are good technical reasons why OO does not use Gtk+, quite
apart from the massive amount of code that would need to be changed.

		Michael.[2]

[1] - perhaps partly because the community is not sufficiently interested
in helping accomodate them eg. 'You must use Gtk+' - instead of thinking
about whether Gtk+/glib is a good solution to every problem, and if not
how to make it attractive.

[2] - who happens to think the Sun guys are doing a good technical job of
moving closer to GNOME - soon I anticipate OO will be shipping with Bonobo
integration enabled.