Re: OO as GNOME software (topic change)

Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

> Yes I agree OpenOffice would be nicer if it used GTK, I'm not sure
> that means we should boycott it.

Right now, with the popularity of various themes and such, there is no
reasonable way to integrate at all nicely with the desktop
appearance-wise short of using gtk.

It seems to be the stance of the GNOME community that this is
important. I proposed adding Mozilla to the GNOME 1.4 release despite
this and was soundly shot down at the time (and therefore backed off,
because I thought the community consensus counted for more than my
personal opinion as release coordinator). I don't see reason to
believe the community feels differently about OpenOffice and I do not
think it is right for the GNOME leadership to declare OpenOffice
magically blessed anyway.

In fact, it would be interesting to see OpenOffice go through exactly
the same community decision-making process that mozilla did.

 - Maciej