Re: Proposal for new naming schema

Christian Meyer <chrisime mailing uni de> writes:

> I have a suggestion concerning the current names for cvs BRANCHES.  At the moment
> it is quite difficult to determine which BRANCH belongs to a certain GNOME
> version.
>
> i.e. control-center-1-0 is for GNOME1.4 and control-center(HEAD) for further
> GNOME releases AFAIK
>
> Darin, Christian Rose and I discussed about that problem yesterday on #nautilus.
> We think it is about time to introduce a better/new naming schema.  Thus, it is
> easier to find out for coders which BRANCH they need and also for translators.
>
> I'd like to propose the following naming schema:
>
> For GNOME 1.x versions we should use something like: <package_name>-1.  or:
> <package_name-version>-gnome-1.  The latter one results in a very long BRANCH
> name. I don't know if everybody wants that.

I think that's a very bad idea since in the first place package version numbers
have nothing at all to do with GNOME version numbers. I mean, "GNOME 1.4" is
just a collection of different packages with different versions.

CVS branch names should correspond to the package version they were created
for and not according to whether they're for a particular GNOME release or not.
It is also hard to determine whether some particular package version will go
into some release or not at the time a branch was created.

> For GNOME 2.x it looks similiar: <package_name>-2.  or:
> <package_name-version>-gnome-2.
>
> You might ask now why not using <package_name>-1-2. The answer is quite
> simple. The package should be used for all GNOME 1.x versions and not just for
> GNOME 1.2 (example here).

This naming scheme is just totally stupid, you'll end up having some CVS branch
without knowing for which package version it was created.

You can set a CVS tag for the final release for 1.4 etc., but branches normally
exist for a very long time and you cannot really know in which GNOME release
the branch will go at the time you create it.

If a package already has 1.4.x, 2.x etc. version numbers, then of course we
already have this, but if a package is at version number 0.3 it'd be very
confusing to have a branch called appname-1 or appname-2.

Just my oppinion.

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)