Re: Quo vadis, GNOME? (was: Getting Bugzilla support into Bug-buddy)

rms39 columbia edu (Russell Steinthal) writes:
> Of course, I don't know if that is their systematic policy, or it's
> just a function of Havoc moving some bugs to the right system.

I'm about 50% flaky on that. ;-)

Anyway, to address Alan's points, I do think the GNOME tracker is
slightly misleading - because we know it sucks and no one wants to use
it, I for example frequently forward Red Hat bugs to maintainers by
just sending maintainers mail because I know they don't use the
tracker. So quite a lot of bugs do get fixed in that way. Or
Ximian/Red Hat/etc. just fix stuff in their packages and those patches
get merged (eventually). So the tracker inactivity does understate
bugfixing work.

That said, I can see the point about Debian, kernel, etc. neglecting
the core - and I've said myself I'd like to see more focus on the
core. (But I think the focus should be cleanup and polish, not
featuritis ;-)

Havoc