Re: the same page

On Fri, 2001-12-21 at 17:39, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > The embedded world is over 90% of computing.
> >
> > Yeah, but it doesn't matter because you don't want GNOME running visibly
> > on those devices anyway.
>
> Really. Fine I'll quote your words to a few very large telco and related
> companies who are wondering which way to go. Thanks for the clarification.
>
> And no I am not being silly here. If your TV isnt running Linux within five
> years someone screwed up.

I assume they are interested in using not GNOME but in using pieces of
GNOME. The point is that they'll be developing their own interfaces,
using little bits and pieces of X, Linux, and perhaps GNOME (say gtk
framebuffer) as suits their needs. Having GNOME itself perform well is
not really an issue. Some sub-libraries of GNOME probably will need to
adapt to this, but I don't suspect embedded device manufacturers are
much in the habit of using things like components etc anyway.

-seth