Re: character encoding in .desktop files

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 05:46:47PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > How can we change .desktop files to use UTF-8 encoding? What encoding do they
> > currently use? What compatibility concerns will there be if we change the encoding
> > between GNOME 1 and GNOME 2?
>
> Check out the desktop file spec on freedesktop.org; they are currently
> in Legacy-Mixed encoding, should be in UTF-8. They can be changed one
> at a time.
>
> To convert, I would suggest:
>  - make sure the GNOME 2 .desktop code always saves in UTF-8
>  - load them using that code, which should convert to
>    UTF-8, then save them again

Ditem code as I left it (not sure what martin added lately) did read both
encoding styles and converted to UTF-8 in memory (and thus saves would be
UTF-8)

> We can write a small utility program that does this.

Should be fairly trivial once we have a finished ditem.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   You have the right to food money providing of course you don't mind a little