character set in URIs for drag and drop

When dealing with drag and drop of files, we often deal with URIs for files on the local system. Currently, the URIs typically use the raw name from the file system with URI encoding. For example, if a file has an upside-down question mark in its name, and my file system has file names encoded with the Latin-1 character set, then the file might have this URI:

    file:///home/darin/%BFQue%3F

But I think that this URI would not be what GNOME 2 programs would expect.
 They would instead expect the URI to be encoded with UTF-8:

    file:///home/darin/%C2%BFQue%3F

I'd like to know which of these is right and the which is wrong. Perhaps we need to bring this subject up on the xdg list.

    -- Darin