Re: Thinking about Dogfood

> Exactly how old are you suggesting? A trimmed-down Gnome 1.4 runs
> on my MediaGX ("sort of a pentium") with 32M. It doesn't run perfectly,
> and trimmed down means "no file manager", switching all bells and
> whistles off, and having to mess with a lot of defaults (dammit,
> the defaults should be for _low_-spec machines: ever tried to wade
> through mud switching funky bits off? Far faster for the people on
> the fast boxes to switch the extras on).

Ok, this is I think alone a very good point.

What about having a tool to configure all those settings at once:

	Select your machine speed and memory:

	Slow.			Little Memory
	Fast.			Regular.
	Very fast.		Lots of memory

Or something along those lines.  It could be part of the `Doorman' (I
actually did suggest this to be included in Ximian GNOME 1.4, but
there was no time to implement it).

This setting would take care of adjusting various settings for the
user for their particular setup.

Miguel.