Re: GNOME CVS: gnome-core martin

On 12Aug2001 06:48PM (-0400), jacob berkman wrote:
> On 11 Aug 2001 20:56:54 -0400, Gnome CVS User wrote:
> >
> > CVSROOT:	/cvs/gnome
> > Module name:	gnome-core
> > Changes by:	martin	01/08/11 20:56:54
> >
> > Modified files:
> > 	.              : configure.in
> >
> > Log message:
> > Make -Werror the default.
> > If you don't like it, use the --enable-compile-warnings=<something> argument
> > to override it.
>
> why don't you just export the CFLAGS you want to use in your
> environment?  this way, you can have whichever warnings etc. you want,
> and my build doesn't get broken.

If you really want a build to stay warning-free, you need -Werror to
be the default. Otherwise, the few people who use it will spend too
much of their time cleaning up after the people who don't. If someone
really needs to build and can't fix the warnings, they can take the
extra step of turning them off.

Not that I have any say on what the flags are for gnome-core - but
I've noticed that modules which default to -Werror on generally have
no warnings, whereas every gnome2 module that doesn't, gtk+ included,
has a fair amount of warnings in the build, and build warnings tend to
stick aroud long enough that I think most people who claim to do
special cleanup passes to fix warnings are mistaken in their
recollection.

> besides the fact these cflags are gcc specific.

It's best to enable -Werror only when compiling with gcc - nautilus is
an example of a module that gets this right (or bonobo-activation if
you want a GNOME2 example).

Anyway, I hope -Werror continues to be used more. Many warnings are
real bugs!

 - Maciej