Re: File Dialog

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 05:45:59PM +0200, Matthias Warkus wrote:
> +++ Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 04:07:25AM +0200 +++
> Christian Meyer e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
>> * a sidebar, like the M$ fileselector has
>
> Why?

For me this is the single most useful feature of the Office file
selector.  Well, the single most useful non-essential feature :-)

A file selector without some way of saving "favourites" feels very
clumsy after using it for a while.  Ideally you'd be able to drag
folder icons from any nautilus (or gmc) view or from the file chooser
itself onto the sidebar.

>> * some sort of navigation buttons
>
> A file browser does not need navigation buttons IMHO. The back button
> is the entry for the .. dir, anyway.

You need "up" and it's good to have "home", although the latter could be
on the sidebar.

>> Additionally it should have image preview. Nautilus widgets can be
>> used for that purpose.
>
> We could simply replace the file selector by a button that opens a
> file manager window and then turns into a drop well.

The file selector should *be* a file manager window as far as I am
concerned.  The only reason it isn't is a memory limitation on a
macintosh computer almost 20 years ago.

Lee

--
Liam Quin - Barefoot in Toronto - liam holoweb net - http://www.holoweb.net/