Re: GNOME 2 Sound Architecture and APIs?

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Vlad Harchev wrote:

>  Also AFAIR esd seems to allow only one sample rate for all streams. That's
> very bad IMO.

The problems with esound have been enumerated on gnome-sound-list - this
is not one of them. esound allows the app to set the sample rate on each
incoming connection, and then resamples them for the output stream.

>  Have anybody considered NAS? That sound system is very mature, and
> it's even implemented in various X Terminals (i.e. in hardware) and X
> Servers for Windows! And it's written in C. At least it should be
> considered - it has very rich API and functionality, server-side
> caching of samples, non-trivial resampling algorithms, support for
> sound input (writing from a microphone). Yes, API is slightly complex
> - but we can make wrappers with gnomefied function names for common
> cases. It's how esd should look like :)

NAS was considered when looking for a sound daemon originally. I don't
remember the reasons why it wasn't chosen, but it probably deserves at
least a brief reevaluation now.

"Rich API" being a euphemism for "crufty interfaces that nobody can
understand",
-- Elliot
The truth knocks on my door, and I say
"Go away. I'm looking for the truth"