Re: GNOME 2 Sound Architecture and APIs?

On 12 Apr 2001, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> I guess sound events are just an optimization to quickly send music
> out (at a fundamental level, I do not think there is any difference
> between telling esound `play clip #3' than playing it ourselves).

I'm not sure what 'ourselves' refers to here - the app, or GNOME in
general.

To correctly implement sounds associated with application events, you need
a layer in between the app and the sound device, to allow the user to
customize the sounds played for specific events.

	app -> sound event handler -> dsp

Currently, 'sound event handler' consists of sound-properties plus esd
plus a few gnome-libs hooks. It could be replaced by sound-properties plus
gnome-session plus this hypothetical 'rawsound'.

(I'm not saying gnome-session per se is the right place, just that we need
something that will stick around during the session to take care of
event_name -> digitized_sound translation.)

> Is this functionality even important to have?

I think so, yes.

-- Elliot
The truth knocks on my door, and I say
"Go away. I'm looking for the truth"