Re: GNOME 2 Sound Architecture and APIs?

On 12 Apr 2001, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> I guess sound events are just an optimization to quickly send music
> out (at a fundamental level, I do not think there is any difference
> between telling esound `play clip #3' than playing it ourselves).
>
> Is this functionality even important to have?

I guess it can save huge amounts of bandwidth if the application is not
running on the same machine as the one that outputs audio, and if it has a
small amount of sounds played a lot of times (e.g. sounds associated
with GTK+ events)

--
   .--= ULLA! =----------------------------.  finger cactus cactus rulez org
   \      http://cactus.rulez.org           \   for PGP public key