Re: Full time sysadmin for GNOME

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 08:58:34AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 10:30:12PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Chema Celorio">
> >
> > > [Solution b]
> > > If we decide to get a full time sysadmin on behalf of GNOME
> > > i think that the foundation can figure that out where to get
> > > the cash for this. I like this solution better.
> >
> > I emailed Chema about my interest in this[*] privately. There is the
> > question of the Foundation not really meant to be used for employing people,
> > but I think Chema was just hoping for the Foundation to "figure out" how it
> > could be done.
> >
> > [*] I would be inordinately happy (overjoyed) to be able to do something on
> > this scale for Gnome, and have offered myself as a volunteer to help out
> > regardless of the Foundation's decision.
>
>   Don't get me wrong, I do think that scaling up our sysadmin team
> is getting urgent, Martin should have more time to hack on Gnome-2.0,
> Owen and Greg will certainly appreciate help, etc ... Hey I manage
> rpmfind, I know taht sometimes you just don't want to heard that a system
> is broken, get feature request, etc. :-)
>
>   So far our sysadmin team is volunteers or part time of people working
> in Gnome related companies. I don't know how deeply we should change this,
> personally I'm still leaning toward keeping the responsablities distributed
> even if physically it makes some sense to keep our servers in the same
> location.
>
>    sounds a point to add to the Board agenda,
>
> Daniel

Picking Jeff as a sysadmin however would be costly for all.  We'd each
have to go and purchase some steel-reinforced pants.  You see, his leg
has this hyper twitch to it...

But I'd still vouch for him.

And in terms of donations (I know you guys are talking about corporate
hardware donations), is there any good web info about donating to the
GNOME Foundation?  GNU.org and Debian.org have explicit info and
formal methods for donations (individual or organization/corporate).

Jason.