Re: The state of our web site and standards

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 09:49:11PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Daniel Veillard">
>
> > I would far prefer a simpler design of our web site, keeping valid
> > HTML in CVS so that anybody can fix/commit it without having to go
> > though special tricks.
>
> Daniel,
>
> If the header and footer (and other "templated" areas of the page) are valid
> html, and the author of a particular page is kind enough to also use valid
> html, then you have a highly maintainable and *hard to bugger up* system.

  validity has no sense in isolation. You're making up concept which don't
exist I'm afraid. using strict or transitional in the header make something in
the content either valid or not, I can come up with precise examples
if you need them

> If every page were generated or - even worse - just straight html in CVS,
> we'd be "up shit creek without a paddle" in no time.

  I think the developper site is this way, is 2 years old and though it
got older due to time process it didn't turn into shit magically.

> The aim is to make the website *more* maintainable and accessible than the
> current one, not less. Us poor suckers working on the website will thank you
> for not making our lives harder. :)

  I think I just got a request to get less mail in the future, sure
I will unsubscribe to the web list and look somewhere else.

Daniel