Re: news.gnome.org again

Cody Russell wrote:

> I think news.gnome.org should remove the user comments feature entirely,
> and become strictly a news reporting site.  As far as I can tell, the
> comments feature is used almost exclusively by trolls.  Every time I
> look on this site, I am saddened and today I began reading some of the
> comments under the "Reef Project Announcement" headline and it just
> pissed me off.  We have comments like "i wish eazel would go away",
> "who's up for stopping the downward spiralling of the gnome project",
> "EAZEL is turning GNOME to a piece of shit".  Sure, there are also
> comments from reasonable people (mostly just trying to correct stupid
> things said by stupid people, most of whom won't listen to reason anyway
> I think) but you really have to dig into the comments before you find
> them.  I think the initial impression of the user comment system is,
> "These people are all idiots."
>
> This stuff is just using GNOME machine resources and is doing nothing
> useful.  Furthermore, I think it's harmful because it makes GNOME's
> websites look very unprofessional, and even very immature.  We obviously
> can't moderate the user comments, so I think they should just be removed
> entirely.
>
> Cody / bratsche

news.gnome.org is my home page at Eazel as one way to keep up with the rest
of the GNOME project.

For whatever it's worth --- and speaking for myself and not for Eazel ---
my enthusiasm for contributing to GNOME on my own volition has
substantially diminished after prolonged exposure to the toxic flamage on
gnotices.

Truthfully, I didn't know that gnotices *wasn't* indicative of the
intelligence and maturity of GNOME users at large until Cody's message.

Yours,

Eli